Being Rhea [ray-ya]

{Rhea} was an experiment :)

One of the stronger (& yet super random) reasons that motivated me to give myself a new name: 

My chinese name [yong3 bin1] has always been mispronounced as [yong3 ping2] by ppl who didn't know the chinese characters (that's essentially every one except my chinese teachers and TCM doctors). As it started from preschool, I have never thought about correcting anyone and accepted it as a norm (& thus I think I don't connect really well with yong3 bin1 either). Then, one fine day, I just decided that the mispronounced version doesn't sound like me anymore HAHAHA And, I think a part of me was also looking to refresh my sense of self (identity crisis¿¿)

I researched for names with meanings and sounds that I resonated with. I settled on names that reflect 'water' because it is my favourite element. I like water as a symbol (i.e., of change & flexibility), as well as the sounds and views of water irl - it's rather comforting and healing 😌🌊 

In fact, I took up a few names since CB (as usernames on different platforms) but it felt weird claiming them. "Rhea" was a spontaneous one - I was sharing two spellings that could be pronounced as ray-yuh w a good friend on the morning before an offline event, and decided to introduced myself as "Rhea" that day. Initially, I felt like an imposter because responding to the word "rhea" was a novel experience - it felt like a new identity. I was also debating how I want it to sound because of the varied pronunciation "ree-ya" VS "ray-yuh" VS "ree-yer'' VS "ray-yer". 

Then, I went on to call myself Rhea in an online event and on my trip and afterwards in work attachment. There were acquaintances who knew my existence by yong3 ping2 and found it difficult to call me "rhea" - even those who do not know me in person xD I was in their shoes too, but I adapted really quickly. (I wonder why)ðŸĪ”

Hehehe to friends who still feel awkward calling me "rhea" - JUST DO IT :D Ok or I really am ok to be "yp" despite the connotation HAHA Some of my friends call me yp on text and ping ping irl :3 (but ok, I think I might not be very repulsed by the sound yong3 ping2 if you have been doing it either?) --- haiya what do I want right??? Seems like I still have a long way to go in my self-searching journey ðŸĪŠðŸĪŠðŸĪŠ

Side note1:

My younger kiddos probably cannot pronounce the /r/ sound, so I guess they will give me new names, like i-ya or ah-ya or e-ya - and I am very cool with that 😎


Side note2: Not sure why blogger doesn't support the customization of blog templates/ layouts anymore - I've been wanting to update the music & tagline below the header :'> And, since I can't do it on the page, I'm putting my new tagline here: /Stream of musings from the confused mind/ (because I have been using it to declutter my mind and organize my thoughts) 😌


Update: I found da wae!!