Food for thought (Literally) - Inspirations from a Buffet Lifestyle (Covid Edition)

The last post I published was after the end of Year 1 when I consolidated some musings about the past year. Now that Year 2 has ended, I thought that it will be nice to return and to do the same too. I feel that writing can motivate me to consolidate my thoughts and confront my mental clutter. Despite cb-lite, I actually have a lot of things that are on my mind that I want to do, write, read, learn, and think about this sem break. (So much so that I even made it into a list.) While some of their glimmer had dulled upon the completion of my last paper (distraction woes), I thought that doing a mental decluttering might help me gain clarity into what I really want to prioritize this summer. Something I learnt from last summer was my value for a productive and fulfilling break (rather than a busy one). This time, I also need one that can help me recharge and ready my mind for the next year of hustle.

The past year has been a buffet. Since it is covid edition, I only get to decide the kinds of food that I want (rather than its portion). I ended up having a lot on my plate: academics, practicum, translation, workshops, volunteering, school projects (ouam, catalyst) etc., on top of personal projects and commitments (i picked up muaythai! #noregrets). What seemed like a variety of delicacies became a concern for digestion. While there were condiments that helped to make certain foods palatable, there were some that were just incompatible. This buffet allowed me to see where I usually place my priorities - on shared food (which sometimes do take a toll on personal ones). 

This lifestyle, however, also encouraged me to reassess if certain foods are worthy of the stomach space. While I learn to chew and swallow some of them at my own pace, I am also becoming more sensitive to the offers of eager/overbearing waiters and waitresses. I started to think about those offers very carefully before allowing them to replenish or add to the plate. As time passed, I also discovered the importance to know how to turn down or negotiate the portion of the food too! Guess that's learning how to set healthy boundaries? :) 

Despite the buffet lifestyle, I have also received 'emotional, social, mental, and experiential nutrients' from each of the food items that were (and are still) on my plate. Very grateful to everyone who journeyed with me the past year <3







Throwback to the first seoul garden buffet I had with hpu and vv! (They very kindly dedicated 50% of the griller for me to grill all the non-spicy & non-beef food items :))